Hello Peeps!! Hope you all are doing well and taking good care of yourselves 🙂
Vegetarians and Vegans are often asked this question – where do you get the protein from? sounds familiar? 🙂
Well, here is a recipe to answer just that 🙂
This recipe calls for Quinoa, Red Lentils, seasonal veggies and a dash of coconut milk. Sounds easy doesn’t it?
Quinoa have never been my favourite food, I have to admit! Although it offers tons of nutrition, it’s bitter taste was always a turn off for me. Well until recently, when I tried mixing it with red lentils and a dash of coconut milk to add the soothing and sweet touch. It turned out absolutely delicious!
As you may know, I try to bring in Ayurvedic approach in my cooking and recipes. This recipe qualifies as a complete Vedic meal, assimilating all 6 tastes in one bowl (sweet, sour, pungent, salty, bitter, astringent -> read more on Vedic Food Wisdom).
Here is why you should definitely give this one a try:
- Quinoa and Lentils both offer high quality protein, sourced from plants (This recipe is packed with plant-based proteins).
- Lentils are rich in fibre and iron content. From an Ayurvedic perspective, lentils are considered “Sattvic” – producing calming and soothing effect on the mind; further enhanced when cooked with cumin seeds, cilantro and black pepper.
- Lentils when cooked with Grains (Quinoa or rice), forms a complete protein with all essential amino acids required for nourishment.
- A hint of coconut milk adds sweetness to the recipe to balance off the astringent, bitter and pungent qualities of Quinoa and lentils.
- Addition of seasonal veggies enhances the taste and aroma of this dish, I chose beets and peppers (these can be substituted for any other seasonal veggies of your choice)
- 1 bowl of cooked Quinoa
- 1 bowl of cooked Red Lentils
- 2 Tablespoons of coconut milk
- chopped seasonal veggies, I used beets, red and yellow peppers
- ½ teaspoon of black pepper (or as per your preference)
- ½ teaspoon of cumin seeds
- ½ teaspoon of salt (or as per your preference)
- 1 teaspoon of olive or any vegetable oil
- pre-boil lentils and quinoa (separately), and set aside to cool it off (for half an hour or more)
- In a pan, stir fry seasonal veggies in 1 teaspoon of oil (or add more as you need). Keep the veggies crunchy as you don't want to overcook them.
- Add in Cumin Seeds, black pepper and salt. Stir
- Add in Quinoa and lentils to the pan and stir gently on low heat. (avoid over-stirring and keep the heat low)
- Now add in 1-2 tablespoons of coconut milk to bring it all together. Coconut milk will soon be soaked in by other ingredients. Turn the heat off and pour it out in a bowl. Enjoy!